Clogged toilets, sinks, drains, and tubs can happen without notice. Sometimes the clog is due to poor plumbing, but many times it can be fixed with some plumbing tools. Here are the top 5 tools for de-clogging your pipes.
1. Plunger: Always keep a plunger handy. They can be handy for clearing blockage in toilets and sinks. Use a force cup on sinks, and a combination plunger when needing to clear your toilet.
2. Snake: A snake, also known as an auger, is very handy when there is a clog. Snakes are a coiled spiral cable that you put down your pipes to push clogs outs. They usually come with a manager to crank the cable down the drain, though specialized plumbers use more progressive methods by having them attached to a drill to spin the cable.
3. Toilet snake: A toilet snake is very similar to a regular snake, but it is used specifically for fixing toilet clogs. They are more stiff than the other snakes, and they only have a short cable. It also is fitted with a rubber sleeve so the snake won’t hurt the porcelain of your bowl as it is cranked.
4. Sewer tape: Sewer tape isn’t truly tape, but a flat metal band. It has a hook on the end of it to remove the clog. While it doesn’t work in addition as a snake, it can be helpful if you don’t have access to an auger.
5. Drain Cleaner: Drain cleaners can be very useful when there is buildup in your pipes causing clogs. Drain cleaners use chemicals to clear up the clogged drains. Liquid drain cleaners are easy to use, and will dissolve everything in the pipeline on its way down.
A lot of times grease and hair cause a lot of buildup in drains. Drain cleaners will almost always contain a combination of chemicals to dissolve these two pipe problems. Don’t try to combine cleaners, as they are using chemicals and they might not mix well.
Remember to use safety when using chemicals to de-clog your pipes. If you have tried a drain cleaner and the problem doesn’t get fixed, don’t try to use another one. Chemicals, as mentioned before, are not meant to be mixed. Try another method, or call in a specialized plumber to service the problem.