Internet phoning has been around for quite some time now and was developed a associate of years back to make long distance calling more cost effective. Magic Jack is the newest entrant in the category of VoIP phones and offers more benefits than others. The device has already made the manufacturers high and consumers across the globe also seem to be happy about the product.
The Magic Jack lets you make unlimited calls to numbers in the United States, Canada and parts of Europe for a small yearly subscription. You just need to plug in the device into your computer’s USB port be able to make the calls. Needless to mention that you also need internet connectivity, because what you are dealing with is an internet phone.
Like all other products the Magic jack also has its proportion of both satisfactory and not-so-satisfactory features. It’s up to the user to decide what’s worth the money and what not. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons:
- Cost – This device seems to be the most cost effective compared to others in the category. You pay $39.95 plus shipping and handling charges to have ownership of the device. This entitles you to make free local and long distance calls to numbers in USA, Canada and some parts of Europe. For every following year you just need to revive your subscription for just $19.95 per year.
- characterize high – The device comes loaded with features like voice mail, Call waiting, caller identification, call forwarding, 411 and 911.
- Save cell phone costs – You could use the device to make calls from your home and save your cell phone minutes.
- You don’t need to buy expensive hardware to be able to use the device. An ordinary landline phone, including the cordless ones could be used to make and receive calls. You could also use computer microphone and speakers to make and receive calls.
- You need to have your computer turned on to be able to use the device.
- It might not be wise to rely fully on the Magic Jack for communication purposes. The company is a new one and the product has however to pass the test of time.
- The device does allow you to call 911 for emergency purposes, but it asks you for your physical location during the installation course of action and it’s the same location that is displayed at the receiving end when you call 911.
- No electricity no phone! If there’s a strength outage and you are unable to switch boot your computer, the device won’t work.
In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. The Magic Jack comes with a 30 days money back guarantee, so you could truly test ride the product and find out yourself, if it’s worth long term usage.