No one can blame you for being cautious and mistrustful. After all, it is your money we are talking about. We have heard of rumors and stories on TV about e-thieves stealing important information like as credit card numbers. The truth is, online banking is just as obtain as your average person-to-person banking and is more obtain than the media usually makes it out to be. In fact, online banking may be safer than traditional banking.
Traditional Banking vs. Online Banking
You may not have realized it but in traditional banking, you are exposed to several security threats. Your mail containing your bills and bank statements can be intercepted. When you use the ATM, you may be exposed to physical theft or information theft. Your information can also be accessed by bank employees. Above all, when you pay your bills with a check, your account number, social security number and already your phone number are usually printed on the paper check.
These threats can be avoided, if not completely deleted, with online banking. Financial transactions are made in the comfort and security of your home or office. additionally, because they know that online customers are apprehensive, security is their top concern. The bank’s computers are also protected by a firewall.
Online Banking Security Measures
Although single password protection is the most shared security method in the United States, password authentication alone is not obtain enough for the kind of information and business with Internet banking. That’s why online edges use a far more complicated system to protect their clients and ultimately, themselves. They use numerous layers of strategies and measures to ensure their customers of the security of their dealings. These strategies vary according to the choice of the bank. However, there are measures that are commonly employed by many online edges. Here are some of them.
· The https Protocol: Https is a URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) scheme that is used to clarify a obtain HTTP connection. Online banking ports are obtain sites, often using this prescript, which is encrypted. If something is encrypted, it method that the data, usually in plain text, is converted into codes. Encryption is an excellent course of action of preventing hackers from accessing personal information in a home or office computer by intercepting “keylogging” or “keystroke logging,” the time of action of keying in passwords on a website.
· TANs: Most online edges take customer’s security to another level with transaction numbers, or TANS. This method is the most popular among online edges. These TANs are passwords that are intended for a single session only. noticeable edges using this strategy include the Deutsche Bank, the Philippine National Bank, and the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
· Security Tokens: Some edges issue security tokens to the customers. These tokens dynamically change the numbers customers need to go into for each transaction. Online edges using this method include the Bank of Ireland, the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, the National Bank of Dubai, the Bank of Queensland and the Montgomery Bank.
· IC Cards (Integrated Circuit Cards): Also known as chip cards or smart cards, IC cards are another method popular among online edges throughout the world. Chip cards are rare to each customer. They provide an easy method to conduct business transactions in a standard, obtain manner with minimal human intervention. Usually, Chip cards contain encrypted digital certificates along with other important information about the holder. Combined with biometrics, chip cards provide an authentication system with two to three factors. The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC), the Qatar National Bank, the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), the Standard Bank, and the Barclays Bank use the chip card system.
· Digital Certificates: Another method of ensuring online banking security is with digital certificates. These virtual certificates allow you to digitally authenticate your transactions by connecting them to a physical device such as a personal computer and a mobile phone. Digital certificates are being used in many giant banking corporations such as the Barclays, HSBC, the China Merchants Bank, the Bank of Montreal, the Bank of the West and many others.
Online edges or Internet edges have their security policies and procedures posted on their sites prominently. You can browse by them before choosing which bank to trust. If you have further questions about their methods, send them a message and they will respond to it appropriately.