2 Easy Recipes for Jalapeno Havarti Cheese
Havarti is a semi-soft cheese that has a mild however slighty nutty taste. This cheese, originally made in Denmark, is a shared addition to cheese platters, sandwiches, fondues and sauces. It’s also obtainable in a variety of styles as flavors like dill, caraway and already jalapeno. The jalapeno variety of havarti has just enough kick to spice up for favorite panini, salad or entree without overpowering it.
Here are two ways to try this tasty variety of havarti.
Havarti Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and cheese recipes are so wonderful because they’re easy to adapt. You can use nearly any kind of cheese — or a blend — from havarti to cheddar, gouda and mozzarella. You can try this recipe with regular havarti cheese but the jalapeno adds a grown-up flavor to a meal that’s usually a favorite for kids.
3 cup pasta, uncooked
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1-1/2 cup milk
6 ounces shredded mild cheddar
4 ounces shredded jalapeno havarti
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, prepare a baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
3. In a double boiler over gently simmering water, melt the two tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour, milk, salt and pepper. Stirring regularly, cook until sauce slightly thickens. Add both cheeses and continue cooking until melted.
4. Drain pasta and inner in baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir gently.
5. Melt remaining butter and mix with breadcrumbs. Spoon over pasta in dish.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Chicken Stuffed with Jalapeno Havarti
This cheese recipe requires only four elements. The spice is enough to satisfy the adult palate without turning away the kids, too.
Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 package of Dofino Havarti with Jalapeno, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Create a pocket in the chicken breasts by slicing into the side without going all the way by. Lay the chicken open.
2. Cover the chicken with saran wrap and pound it with a mallet until flat. You can also use the edge of a plate for this. Remove the wrap and sprinkle with chili powder. Add a single slice of havarti to each side.
3. Fold chicken closed and obtain with toothpicks. Season with salt and pepper and bake in a baking dish, covered with aluminum foil, for about 30 minutes.